Tuesday, July 3, 2012

How To Give A Garden Element A Fresh Look: Froggy Gets a Much Needed Face Lift and the Water Garden Finds A New Place

If you have been following me for over a year, you know that I have a three tiered fountain that I converted into a planter with a water garden in the bottom tier.  I blogged about it in my post Are You Spittin'? in April of 2011.  I wanted a small water garden and no longer liked the splashing of all the water from the three tier at my front door!  Can you say "showering" my guests?!

So here it was at my former home at the front door.
Planter/Water garden at former home.





I moved this fountain on my own before the movers came because I have worked years on establishing the water plants in this mini-wonderland.  I wasn't about to let just anymore move it.  I even rented a truck to help me.

At first I put it near my front entrance, but moved it once again about a week ago to a location on the back of my property near where I walk my dogs.  I have placed a little table and chairs here as well.  Nice place for an afternoon beverage.

The little spitting frog that helps keep the water circulating in the water garden had gotten kinda, well, trashed.  So yesterday, I unplugged him and took him into my studio for a quick renovation.  Here is what he looked like.
Before Renovation

I decided to use craft paints to bring him back to life.  I also wanted to bring the bamboo back to life.  Without a little paint to protect it, I am sure it was well on it's way to rotting.  I just kinda went to town with several shades of green, brown and blonde.
Started with a base color and added color building textures. Added a little bamboo look as well.

Finished him off with a little gold to bring back the vertiginous look.


Here is the Before and After side by side for comparison.  Big difference and it took just a few minutes! I could have gotten all annoyed by the lack of detail on the lily pad.  But I just let it go knowing that it wouldn't really matter.  We have to remember to do that sometimes. Working something too hard at time just kills the fun.


I bought him a new pump to give him an even fresher look, and quickly placed him back in his world.  Here is is spitting away!!



Look at him down there spittin' away!  He got his ribbet back baby and is lovin' it. Don't be hating on my for that black cord showing.  I ran out of steam and have to go back and hide it under the white rocks. Saving that for a cool afternoon. The Heat! Phew! It's hot out there people!

Do you have something in your garden that the weather has taken it's toll on?  It is amazing what a little craft paint can do to spruce up even the most worn elements. I don't know about you, but I think garden accents cost a pretty penny!  Might as well get my money's worth for yet another season!

-The End-


11 comments:

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Your fountain looks LOVELY, Lesley! So beautiful. And what a wonderful makeover you gave that little guy. You have quite the talent with the paint! :)

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

What a beauty, Lesley! Everything here is fried, and dead. My focus here now is my outside animals as there is no hope for our plants. Love your froggie also. Stay cool and don't worry about that black cord for now!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

The fountain looks great at your new home, Lesley. Froggy looks happy too.

Twice Nice said...

I love your fountain and water garden!! That frog cracks me up spittin' his water and scratchin' his tummy! What a beautiful spot you have created. It's hot here too, yuk.

AdrienneRose Gionta said...

i luv all the flowers, the colors...and your frog seems happy too! Great location & best to you on your new home & new creative adventures.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

See what a day at the froggie spa can do?! He looks like a new man...er frog.

Lovely tiered garden! I need to make a little water feature for my yard. The sound is so relaxing. Maybe next year. :@

Olive said...

Lesley, that fountain is something serious. It is gorgeous. You definitely saved the frog too!. hugs, olive

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Love the frog! I never seen one like that. The fountain is beautiful!

Sam I Am...... said...

Beautiful redo! I guess you;re in your new abode now. I have to go back and check up on you. Last time you were just getting ready to move!

Lisa Montsion said...

I love how you fixed up the frog statue. It looks like a brand new frog.

lisa

Lisa Montsion said...

I love how you fixed up the frog statue. It looks like a brand new frog.

lisa